Lahore School of Economics

A distinguished seat of learning known for high-quality teaching and research

Adjusting to the Lahore School

The trouble with adjustment is that you have to belong to a place first. Recently, we have been gathering opinions from students at the Lahore School about how have they adjusted to the place they belong to -- the Main Campus.

Omar Waheed (Bsc Hons 2005) says, “I considered a lot of things when I first arrived here. I have been coming here when I was in the City Campus to see what will be the place we will be joining when our class shifts there. Earlier, may father had been briefed about the Lahore School by one of his friends who is in the know of the matters. Which is why my father insisted that I join the Lahore School? Thanks to dad and his friend. Now I know that this is the best seat of learning, getting a degree and then ultimately getting a job in so far very tight job market will be possible. This is something that I want and need to make not just a good story to tell at gatherings in the café or under the shed, but also a transition that would make me into a better person (well, I hope so).”

“I didn't know many people, says Asma Nasir of the same class, who have had experiences of studying at different schools (at Gujranwala, Quetta, Nowshera and Lahore to name a few), “I had to make friends in order to survive, and I looked perplexedly at the campus environments, which contained buildings, cottages, auditoriums, library, computer laboratories, blue sky and vast expanses. After having shifted to so many schools in earlier years of my education it was easier for me to adjust though.”

“Since I was active in previous school, in the Lahore School I wanted to join a whole bunch of student clubs and societies and get involved in the Campus life to make it feel smaller and more at home. I won't tell you this has been an easy process, or that I'm now the most popular person on the Campus. Chances are, you've never heard of me, and chances are, you may never,” says M. Umar Shahid of the same class. “But I am belong here and am involved now,” he adds.

Mehwish Naqvi thinks that students are quick at the uptake. They easily get acclimated to new surroundings. I faced the challenges here that I did as in junior schools except I am older now, some of us wiser, and most of us still looking for an identity. I feel this is important to say about adjustment because I know that I'm not the only person in my situation. I can imagine that there are so many in my shoes. I want to reach out to this community and say sometimes it's easy to adjust, sometimes it's hard to adjust, and sometimes adjustment comes when we least expect it.

M. Umar Shahid suggests to those new at the Lahore School to get involved, get the place that feels comfortable and makes it your own. What other universities has so much opportunity in the life on campus? What campus has events like the movies in Aud 6 or the ability to reach out to JSTOR achieve at the click of the mouse? The reason every person comes to the Lahore School is different, but every person feels like being an important part of the university.

To conclude, let me quote the old Chinese proverb by Lao-Tzu that says, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Each step students take transfers them in new adventure at the Lahore School. Each step brings them closer to feelings like being a part of the School, a part of the community and ultimately gaining a second home here in the School.

Labels:

posted by S A J Shirazi @ 10/04/2004 01:27:00 PM,

<< Home

City Campus

104 - C, Gulberg III,

Lahore, Pakistan.

Phones: 92-42-35714936, 38474385

Fax: 92-42-36560905

Main Campus

Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI

Burki Road

Lahore, Pakistan.

Phones: 36560935, 36560939


Like on Facebook

Follow on Twitter

Subscribe by Email

Web This Blog

Popular Links

Alumni, Convocation, Debates, Faculty, Images, Life at Campus, Publications, Management of Pakistan Economy

Archives

Previous Posts

Powered By

Powered by Blogger